Communities of Mets Taghlar, Azokh and Drakhtik are located in the Hadrut region of Nagorno-Karabakh Republic. This region forms the southern border of Karabakh, and one of its most mountainous parts. The region occupies 724 km2 of the territory of the Republic. There are one urban settlement and around 40 rural communities in the region.
According to the census conducted in 2005, the total population of the region is around 12,000 people, which comprises about 8.3% of the total population of NKR. Total population of three communities is 2,710 people, from which 1,507 inhabitants live in Mets Taghlar community, 796 in Azokh and 407 in Drakhtik.
The drinking water supply to Mets Taghlar, Azokh and Drakhtik communities is unstable due to partial destruction of the water pipeline, which brings water from the Ishkhanaget River. The inhabitants are supplied with water irregularly during only a few hours a day.
Within the project new water supply main pipeline will be constructed from the Ishkhanaget River to the communities. In particular the following facilities will be constructed:
- Main pipeline about 16.3 km long from Ishkhanaget River to Drakhtik community;
- Branch line from the main pipeline to the Mets Taghlar community with length of about 2.2 km;
- Branch line from the main pipeline to the Azokh community with length of about 2.7 km;
- 3 new daily reservoirs: two 200m3 reservoirs in Mets Taghlar and Azokh communities and one 100m3 reservoir in Drakhtik community;
- Water purification facility on the Ishkhanaget River; and
- Two water distribution stations on the main pipeline
Donor: Telethon 2006
Project Start: March 2007
Project End: expected completion at March 2008